Thursday, September 27, 2012

Honeycrisp Heaven

Have you guys ever had a Honeycrisp apple? No? I need you to do this right now, grab your keys and go to the store and buy one. No. Buy a whole bag full because you will be obsessed with them after you try them. Seriously. I used to be a Fuji lover, no sir, not anymore. Honeycrisp all the way!

Last year the hubs and I went to the annual beer fest at Baytowne Wharf, and it was so. much. fun! We sampled a bunch of beer, what would not be fun about that?? There was live music, food, and over 40 different beers to try! They also had a few different cider's there. After drinking 8 different beers, apple cider tasted like candy! My favorite was the Crispin Honeycrisp Apple Cider. It is awesome! After the festival I decided I really wanted to get some more of the apple cider but couldn't find that stuff anywhere, I even tried the Woodchuck Green Apple Cider thinking it could be a replacement, um no. None of our liquor stores had the yummy crispin. So one day hubs and I decided to stop in Wine World and BOOM there it was!!! Whenever I told a friend I had finally found it and it was at Wine World, she went and they guy told her that some girl came in and bought all that they had of it and it had been super popular since the beer festival. Oops. 

So the other day when I came across some Honeycrisps I knew I had to do something exciting with them. And what better than a Apple crisp dessert? Um, nothing. Let me tell you.

Also, if you have an apple slicer, that thing pictured below, it is very handy for cutting up the apples! Unless the apple is wider than the slicer, then it is incredibly hard to slice all the way through and you might have a little bit of trouble.




Honeycrisp Apple Crisp

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For the apples:
5 large Honeycrisp apples
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup orange juice
Splash of apple juice
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/3 cup granulated sugar

Peel and core your apples. Cut apples into cubes, you could also do sliced, just make sure they are all about the same size so the cooking time is the same for all of them. Melt your butter in a skillet until browned. Add orange juice, making sure you scrape the bottom of the skillet to get all of the browned pieces of butter. Add the apple juice, apples, cinnamon, and sugar, cooking on medium heat for about 10 minutes minutes. Put the apple mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish.

For the topping:
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix all ingredients, it is easier done by hand so you can combine the softened butter. Sprinkle evenly on top of apples and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. 

Serve with some vanilla ice cream, and some caramel ice cream topping. Trust me you don't want to skip that part!


P.S. Please tell me you guys watched Honey Boo Boo last night after I mentioned it? "I wish I had an extra finger, then I could grab more cheeseballs!!" 
Oh Honey Boo Boo, you kill me!

No comments:

Post a Comment