Sunday, October 28, 2012

Don't cheat on the blue box...

I have a really bad habit. Sometimes I will start making a new recipe without even reading the directions... I just assume I'm supposed to do this then this and add these things together etc. 

Like this one time, we had a party for work at our boss' house where we all decided to bring desserts that we found on pinterest... One of my recipes were brownies with peanut butter cheesecake. So the morning of the party I start making the cheesecake... Halfway through I read "Let cheesecake set in the refrigerator overnight..." I had to be there in 3 hours. Crap. Although it was still good, I'm sure it would have been better had I read the directions before starting.

Anyway, have you guys seen the new macaroni and cheese Betty Crocker makes? It's in a red box. We are usually a Kraft "blue box" kinda family. But we saw this new stuff in the store and decided to try the cheese pizza version... 

This one isn't ours, obvi. But I forgot to take a picture before I threw it away so I had to resort to my BFF Google. 

There is like a universal way of making macaroni and cheese that everyone knows, right? You cook the pasta, drain, add sauce, milk, and butter if necessary. Super simple and college kids practically live off of that and those ramen noodle cups because of the simplicity. Oh, and because it is cheap.

So I assumed that this new macaroni and cheese was supposed to be made the same way until I drained the pasta and went to add the milk and butter and saw that sure enough, you were supposed to cook it all together or something crazy like that. After starting to read the directions I said oops and just threw the box away. No one else was a fan of it, I thought it was ok but it probably would have been better if I had, once again, read the directions before I started...

Moral of the story... Y'all read the directions before you make something new. Even though I'm sure everyone already does this and I am the only dork that does not read what I am supposed to do before I do it...

And don't cheat on the blue box, stick to what you know.

Oh and can someone inform Betty Crocker how we make mac and cheese these days? I guess she didn't get the memo.

7 comments:

  1. Bahaha, my hubby does that all the time and makes me crazy! He'll look at a new recipe and sometimes skip over an ingredient, or directions that say to do something and then discover it when it's too late to go back and fix it, lol. I'm gonna pinch you both. ;) Kidding!

    Not sure why Betty Crocker would even get into the mac & cheese market - like you said, the blue box is the gold standard!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! I do it all the time... So I usually just make things up as I go! =)

      And I completely agree!! She needs to stick to cake mixes and cookies!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenni!
    Thanks for stopping by! Nope.... I do the EXACT same thing. I actually don't like to admit it, because it is totally my biggest flaw when it comes to cooking. I just got super excited to see the Betty Crocker Mac and Cheese that I squealed! I wanted to get a whole bunch of them the other day, but my fiancé said, "No". Because we already have a Sam's Club Box amount of the Blue Box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for the "original" flavor but def don't waste your money on the cheese pizza one!!! =)

      Delete
  3. This cracked me up - I'm a Mac and Cheese fan, and that's just odd. I'll have to look for that interesting box, and if I buy it... I will read the directions... ;)
    New follower - can't wait to get to know you!
    Kaylynn
    colbkayandtrae.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! Haha! Def don't make the same mistake I did =)

      Delete
  4. =) thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete